This year I was in the middle of a delegation on Ash Wednesday. After accompanying the group all day, I wished them fun on their adventure to the Masaya Volcano (which they apparently loved), and had them drop me off as close to home as possible, then literally ran to the Cultural Center, arriving just before Mass began at 6pm. Although I had been completely engrossed in all-things-delegation for the few days leading up to that Wednesday and had not had much time to prepare myself for Lent, I felt my everyday life disappear as I reflected on the meaning of the ashes.
Then, I felt the tears well up in my eyes as I reflected on Mass on Ash Wednesday last year, which we celebrated at the fence between Lomas del Poleo, Mexico, and El Paso, Texas, United States of America. The bi-lingual Mass was celebrated by Fr. Bill Morton, SCC, the host of our Creighton Spring Break Service Trip. It was one of the most powerful Masses of my life, in solidarity with people just like ourselves, separated only by the divisions of the State and the injustices of the world, both represented by an 8-foot-tall chain-link fence.
Perhaps the most beautifully sacred moment of the Mass was the sharing of ashes, which we passed in a small container through a hole in the fence. One by one, we shared a blessing with another individual, reaching our fingers through the fence to make the sign of the cross in ashes on their foreheads. They, in return, reached through to do the same to us. I don't know that it has ever been more clear to me that no matter the color of our skin, language we speak or least of all the country of our birth, we are all human: "we are all brothers and sisters". Or, as the front of our shirt reads, "Somos hermanos y hermanas". I can't help but share pictures from that day...
![]() |
| "We Are All Brothers and Sisters" |
The sharing of ashes - Pictures of me sharing the sign of the cross with a member of the Lomas community.. one taken from Mexico (above), and the other from the States.
Padre nuestro, Our father,
que estás en el cielo, who art in Heaven,
santificado sea tu Nombre; hallowed be thy name.
venga a nosotros tu reino; thy kingdom come;
hágase tu voluntad thy will be done
en la tierra como en el cielo. on earth as it is in heaven.
santificado sea tu Nombre; hallowed be thy name.
venga a nosotros tu reino; thy kingdom come;
hágase tu voluntad thy will be done
en la tierra como en el cielo. on earth as it is in heaven.
Danos hoy nuestro pan de cada día; give us this day our daily bread
perdona nuestras ofensas, and forgive us our trespasses,
como también nosotros perdonamos as we forgive those
a los que nos ofenden; who have trespassed against us.
no nos dejes caer en la tentación, lead us not into temptation
y líbranos del mal. and deliver us from evil
perdona nuestras ofensas, and forgive us our trespasses,
como también nosotros perdonamos as we forgive those
a los que nos ofenden; who have trespassed against us.
no nos dejes caer en la tentación, lead us not into temptation
y líbranos del mal. and deliver us from evil
Amén Amen.
![]() |
| What divides us (as humans, and as Catholics), if not greed, prejudice or a chain link fence? |
I can guarantee you that I will remember that Mass and the time I spent on the border (and with my immigrant clients in Omaha) for the rest of my life. It re-ignited the fire I had burning inside me from my junior year at Creighton the year prior, as I searched and prayed for the next step in my life, looking forward to graduation. As I celebrated Ash Wednesday Mass in Omaha, I remember having that deep desire to be sharing more intimately in the passion of our Lord, a burdensome privilege.
This fire, this yearning to be in solidarity with the poor as a young adult came to me long ago, but was never to be ignored after spending the Lenten season in the Dominican Republic, sharing in Ash Wednesday, Stations of the Cross, and Easter celebrations with people (my Dominican family) who live the crucified life day in and day out.
It is truly a privilege to have spent the past four Lenten seasons with communities of four different countries, but it comes with difficult homework, as I truly believe that 'every human contact is an eternal responsibility'.-unknown source.
What divides us?
Who am I, and how am I responding?





No comments:
Post a Comment