Monday, March 12, 2012

How Kindergartners in Omaha are Helping Kids in Managua!

Sorry the life-update posts have been few and far between lately... After the last delegation, I spent a some time resting and getting caught up, and now we're a week from the next delegation so things are definitely crazy! It seems like there is so much to think about and plan to avoid major problems when the group is here, but I'm trying to tell myself to do as much as possible, be super organized (you should see this binder!), and not worry... we'll see how it goes! I'm sure there will be bumps along the way, but I suppose that's how God works   :)

Meanwhile, I have also been working to get the craft class going strong.  As most of you know, my older sister (Amy) is a Kindergarten teacher at Rohwer elementary in Omaha, Nebraska.  Each year each grade at her school takes on a service project to raise money/goods/food/etc, and this time the other teachers agreed to partner with Cantera to teach the kids about Nicaragua and raise funds and collect supplies for our craft class!  I prepared a brief PowerPoint which explained a little bit about Nicaragua, my life here, and also about the kids  with whom I work.  Amy reported back that the kids enjoyed the presentation and had many questions, but were most curious about why I would go so far from home for such a long time!  Not quite sure if "solidarity" is in their 5-year-old vocabulary!  However, the presentation and the fund-raising isn't about me.. the kids in the class are super excited to get the supplies and are hoping to make things that they can then sell at fairs and to delegations to raise money for future projects! Yay sustainability!

Click HERE to see the information "Miss Schroer" posted on their class' website, along with the document that was sent home to the parents - I'm excited to see what comes of it! :)  However, I suppose the service has already been done, as my job here is merely "accompaniment":  living, learning and loving here in order to share their stories with those at home.


1 comment:

  1. Actually, I snuck into your sister's class and posed as a kindergartener -- I'm the one who asked why you wanted to go so far away for so long. ;)

    ReplyDelete