Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Never a dull moment..

There's never really a dull moment at the Cap Corps Managua house...


Back story: As I've mentioned before, two months ago we 'borrowed' a cat from our director's house to curb our mouse population. However, she has decided to take maternity leave from what is more than a full-time job..


We've been anxiously awaiting for the kittens to come--we gathered several Nica friends and everyone guessed the birth date, time, and number of kittens. We also prepared a few different beds--at first trying to encourage her to stay outside by putting a box in the shed (where she spent most of her time before she got comfortable living here), and then, realizing that she still spent all of her time in or under my bed or on the bottom shelf of our clothes racks, we put the box under the bed and cleared a shelf for her. Most of the time I'm home and in our room, she hangs out in my bed (probably for the fan), and loooves to wake me up in the morning by laying RIGHT in front of my face and purring so loudly I can't ignore it!

This morning was like any other--I woke up to her in my face, whining for food. Instead of getting up (come on, Perrita, it's not even 7am on my first day of Christmas break), I coaxed her into some cuddle time. But all of the sudden she started making super strange sounds and (I'll spare you the details) before I knew it she was giving birth...onnnn my bed. I don't think either one of us can remember the next few moments, but I grabbed my sheet (why?) and ran out to find Courtney (or anyone for that matter). We came back in to find the kitten on the floor and Perrita anxiously pacing around our room. Kitten number two started being born in our room, but Perrita (who was clearly freaked out) went outside, where she had that one, cleaned it up, and abandoned it.

So then Courtney and I are looking at each other like -- well, what now? This was definitely not how we expected this birth to go! The kittens were both crying and crawling around in the open and Perrita seemed more or less uninterested, so we weren't sure what to do. Buuut, I knew who would, so I called Mom on Skype--I don't know how many litters of kittens she has cared for in her 25+ years of farm life! With her blessing, we put the two little guys in the box in our room and prepared food, water, and a litter pan for the momma. It broke our hearts as she chose to lay in the bed on the shelf by herself for the next hour.

It was there that she gave birth to the third and fourth babies--much calmer (and cooler to watch!). In fact, I was checking my email as she had the third one, and right as it was born I was reading my daily email from KLOVE (my favorite Christian radio station at home--check it out!). Today's "Encouraging Word" is Matthew 1:23, which reads: "Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel, which means 'God is with us.'" Needless to say, this little guy will most likely be named Immanuel ("Manni" for short!). We were in the process of moving the first two to the new bed (after consulting home again!) when number four arrived--quickly and with out a peep. All four babies are now safe and happy with a content (but exhausted!) momma.

More than anything, I am filled with joy that I was able to share in this experience with Mom and Kelli via Skype--no doubt if we were at home it would have been the three of us out in the barn getting everything ready and helping in whatever way possible. The cat has always been fun to have around as a reminder of home, and kittens definitely bring back memories from my childhood. It will be SOO fun to have Kelli HERE next week to see them!

Growing up in Nebraska, I can't say we've ever had a new litter of kittens to remind me of the "miracle of Christmas" and new life (although, I have to say it's probably not quite as life-changing as getting a baby sister for Christmas!), but I am really excited to spend the next few days relaxing at the house and watching these little guys grow. It will be tight with ten of us living in our little Cap Corps house, but I'm sure we'll adapt.. and before we know it, it will be time for the little guys to find new homes (although, one of them will be taking Perrita's position as head mouse hunter!). Hopefully now that she's settled in with them, she'll stick with it and they'll all make it! :)

Here's a few pictures, and updates will be coming soon!! (as well as an actual update on my life..haha)



Perrita's favorite morning spot--on Courtney's bottom shelf! (12/1/11)


"Pregnancy Shot" -- Hanging out on my bed while I journal :) (12/9/11)


Courtney moving 1 and 2 in with 3 and.. almost 4!


Happy Family -- finally reunited after hours of suspense! (12/21/11)



Disclaimer: None of these cats are Cap Corps property. They are Chepe's cats. (It's against policy and excused only for the sake of mice control.. this was an unplanned pregnancy for all intensive purposes. Good thing St. Francis was pro-life!) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment