He arrived in the evening of the 20th of October (happy birthday, Dad!) and we spent almost the entire evening unpacking a 50-pound suitcase FULL of deliveries from home. He had everything from hiking boots for Ana to two 2L bottles of Dr. Pepper (and a can from one of his planes!), from five bags of m&ms to brownies from Matt's mom in California, from crazy nightgowns that mom sent to letters, cds, and pictures from friends back home. Everything looked, felt, and smelled like home.. it was beautifully overwhelming to not only have him, but so much love from so many others!
Friday morning we went with Chepe (our local coordinator) to Cantera's farm outside of Managua. He gave us a tour of the grounds, which include soil-making (from red worms' poop?!), all sorts of fruits and vegetables, an experimental farmhouse, horses, cows and sheep, fruit dehydrating facilities, and beehives/honey processing.
On Saturday, some of the boys in the neighborhood convinced Alex to play baseball with him while I made lunch. They're already asking when he's going to come back to play with them some more! We spent the afternoon in Mateare, for the "Miss Ambientalista" (Miss Environmentalist) Pageant that the teens had been planning for weeks. They had six candidates and each had to model several outfits, including a dress they created from recycled trash. Over 100 people attended and the teens were proud of how it all turned out. They were also soo excited that Alex was able to come for their biggest event! Saturday evening we met my community members and saw a movie at one of the malls in Managua (the opportunity for air-conditioning and movie-theatre-popcorn is rarely turned down here!).
We then traveled to Granada from Sunday to Tuesday (happy birthday, Andy!), enjoying an afternoon swimming at Laguna Apoyo, visiting my host-family and Casa Xalteva, and a Canopy Tour on the Mombacho Volcano!
I had intended to go to work in Mateare on Tuesday, but their plans changed so we ended up spending the afternoon at the Cantera office in Managua, so Alex got to meet and chat with everyone there and see my office where I work on stuff for delegations and donor relations. When we got back to the house, I did some laundry while Alex "studied for the CPA exam":
Then, Tuesday night we had our weekly dinner/reflection with Chepe and the seminarians who live with him and nixed reflection for a little "Jack-o-Lantern" carving (with a Nica twist!)...
| You can't even tell they're wanna-be pumpkins! |
Wednesday we went into Mateare and hung out with the teens. Unfortunately there was no Libros para Ninos, but the kids were excited to get to know Alex and show him around Mateare.
We walked a few blocks away to the shore of Lake Managua, where we met some local fishermen/farmers. One of them opened up a 50lb rice sack and revealed a pile of IGUANAS! Wasn't expecting that when I peaked in! Evidently they make for a pretty good dinner.. I'll take their word on it ;)
On Thursday morning, we headed down south toward San Juan del Sur (the most popular tourist beach). Rather than doing it the tourist way, however, we took public transportation buses (run-down school buses from the states). The first one was to take us to Rivas, where we would catch a bus the rest of the way. When I explained this to the driver, I was imagining a bus terminal of sorts, where we could choose from a variety of buses with different destinations. I was a little nervous when he dropped us off at this deserted round-about and sped off! We came to find out that it is actually the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to get the bus we needed, but definitely not was I was expecting!
On our way back to the hostel before dinner, we were awe-struck at the beautiful sunset over the ocean..
The next couple nights we made sunset a priority.. and the sites made for close competition for the first night! On Friday, we took a bus to Playa Maderas, a beach to the south of San Juan del Sur. We spent most of the day there, swimming, walking, collecting seashells, laying out, and eating out at one of the restaurants right on the beach.
| The sunset Friday night :) |
After they moved on, we finished our little tour and anchored down for the fishing extravaganza. Sadly the fish we cut up as bate ended up being bigger than anything we caught, but we really enjoyed it. Dad, Ryan, and Andy will be so proud to hear that I caught TWICE as many fish as Alex! ;)
| My first catch! It was so pretty I didn't want to let it go! |
| Alex and I on the boat |
| The sunset as we headed back to shore.. ahh. |
The day after he returned he took his final CPA exam (pray it went okay!) and the day after started his new job at McGladrey in Omaha! After a morning to catch up on sleep and stuff around the house, I've stayed busy with work meetings the last few days. I feel a bit renewed and feel as strongly as ever about taking Alex with me on this journey. Looking forward to what God has in store next!

No comments:
Post a Comment