Hello all! I am now a couple days into Cap Corps Orientation in Milwaukee and loving it so far! I arrived Thursday evening and walked straight through the front door of the friary to a table with delicious home-cooked food... and we haven't stopped eating since! The last two days we spent at the beautiful campus of St. Lawrence Seminary High School in Mt. Calvary, WI. As you may know, Cap Corps was founded by a Capuchin Franciscan Friar, so the entire program is based on their mission and values. "Inspired by the gospel of Jesus and the example of Francis of Assisi, the Capuchin friars of the Province of Saint Joseph, together with our partners in ministry, prayerfully build sister-brotherhood in the world. We attend simply and directly to the spiritual and other basic human needs, especially those of the poor and disenfranchised, promoting justice for all" (The Province of St. Joseph of the Capuchin Order-Mission Statement). Their core values are Hospitality, Partnering, Joyful Service, Justice for all Creation, Compassion, and Empowerment. I won't take more time explaining this now, but if you would like to learn more you can check out their website: http://www.thecapuchins.org/. We also had a session on "Empowering Leadership", in which we were advised to say "Thank You" at least 25 times in one day. Imagine if we all did that!
To be quite honest, I think I'm still running on pure adrenaline and curiosity for what's ahead. I am feeling confident and hopeful, thanks in much part to the beautiful send-off(s!) I had this past week. Thank you, again, to all who were able to come to the Despedida last Saturday - it was a truly beautiful day and I was touched by how many people I have supporting and praying for me. In his Homily (in our dining room!), Fr. Pat talked about "Bursting with gratitude" and how much we all have to be thankful for - I definitely felt God's love and presence in all of you. and I thank you for that. I will miss you all dearly, but know that I carry each of you in my heart and in my prayers.
My last few days in town were a whirl-wind of dinner dates, Target runs, last-minute packing, and as much nephew and family-time as possible crammed in somewhere. Again, I am eternally grateful for everyone's willingness to help out in whatever way was needed, even if it was just company and a listening ear while I processed everything and tried to cram my entire life into two suitcases.
As I continue on my orientation with the twelve other new Cap Corps volunteers (to be serving in Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Peru, and Nica), I cherish all the special time I have spent with family and friends this past summer and look forward to what the future holds for me in Nicaragua. When I first met Fr. Pat in the Dominican Republic in 2009, it didn't take him long to realize that I was nervous to spend such a long time away from home and the people who had always been there to share in my joys and sorrows. He was spot-on when he pointed out that it was (is!) because of that continual presence of love and support that I was able to make such a sacrifice and go so far outside my comfort zone. Even here (and assuredly in Nicaragua, too), I can feel Dad's strength, Mom's warmth, Ryan's wisdom, Rachel's patience, Amy's sincerity, Andy's humor, Kelli's understanding, Thomas' innocence, Matthew's joy and everyone's prayers all around me.
Needless to say, I am bursting with gratitude.
No comments:
Post a Comment