Tuesday, June 5, 2012

a&e in nica!

Although I don't have all of the pictures from Amanda's trip, I am excited to share a few.. we had a great time just spending time together, whether it was in silence while I attempted to work, or staying up late in the hostel to get caught up on everything.

After I worked (and she read and slept in the hammock) on Saturday, we spent Sunday with Ana and her sister, Emily, at the Laguna de Apoyo... a favorite swimming spot.  We had a beautiful day and it was fun to get out of Managua and cool down in the water... we even saw monkeys while kayaking!

A little NE loving :)

Emily, Ana, Manda & I

On Sunday we also helped celebrate Naomy (our neighbor friend)'s first birthday party!! It was complete with [not one but] two pinatas, tons of food (and fresh hibiscus juice!), and a cake. Too bad Naomy was scared to death of the pinata!

Naomy all dressed up for her birthday party! 

Amanda had tons of time to relax around the house throughout the week, since I had to keep working and planning the delegations (that start coming this Friday!).. This was a highlight for me--please note my "office" surroundings--Amanda, DR PEPPER (from Amanda!), chips and fresh guacamole (made by Amanda!)!

On Tuesday morning we left for Matagalpa, a town just north of Managua. We were aiming to get out of the city and to do a tour or two (like the community tour we did when Kelli was in town).  We ended up going on a hike to a look-out over the whole city.  The hike was a little more, umm, vertical? than we had imagined, but we both survived and it was totally worth it. In fact, I was completely satisfied after capturing some pictures of a guardabarranco, Nicaragua's national bird.  I have seen them several times before but have never been close/quick enough to take a picture.. I was all about this guy! I just love their colors (their backs are BRIgHT turqoise, and their delicate tail feathers as well.  This small, beautiful, vulnerable bird is an interesting contrast to the eagle! 

Also, I've been wanting to see a waterfall FOREVER, so I was more than excited when we reached this beauty.. a series of little cascadas. Love!

The city of Matagalpa at the end of the hike. 

Armando "teaching" Amanda how to play chess.. lol. 

With my supervisor/friend, Maria Jose :)


Look how proud the kids are of their beaded bracelets they made this week at craft class! 
And I'm oh so proud of them :)
(The teens made beaded bobby pins that turned out great! 
I was just having too much fun and forgot to take pictures!!)


There really is never a dull moment in our house.. on our last evening together, we were sitting at the kitchen table listening to music and working/journaling/talking and Mia comes FLYING in thru the door, jumps up on my lap (and sends all my papers to the floor) then onto the shelves behind me. Evidently she must've seen some sort of bug or lizard and was DETERMINED to find it. This picture is of teamwork - we took apart most of the shelves to look but didn't find anything. Ohhh Mia.. 

I was bummed to see Amanda go but am very grateful she was able to make the trip. After spending four months together in the Dominican Republic  it only seemed logical that she would be able to visit here to see how life is similar/different.. it was a great chance for both of us to reflect and share with one another.. and we needed that!

2 comments:

  1. Naomy is so precious.

    Good observation on your part: The Eagle is to America (big, strong, bold, aggressive) as the guardabarranco is to Nicaragua (beautiful, small, tropical, vulnerable).

    Hope you come to Tucson in late fall. It's a great time to hike here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come everyone else gets to see monkeys!? ;)

    ReplyDelete