This post is long overdue, but I have to get it in before the next group gets here (in less than 4 hours)!!
As many of you know, the last few weeks have been crazy busy, as the season of delegations is in full-force. The second week of June Cantera hosted a group of students from an all girls high school in Baton Rouge Louisiana, St. Joseph's Academy. They missed their flight to Managua due to weather, so at the last minute we did some re-working to fit what already seemed like a crammed schedule into six instead of seven full days. Needless to say, they hit the ground running as soon as they got here!
I greatly enjoyed getting to know all of the girls (and their little quirks!) and especially enjoyed accompanying them as their eyes were opened to [literally] a whole new [impoverished] world. As they struggled to define their own culture, they were met with the history of struggles of Nicaragua--from natural disasters to international affairs. Although it was sometimes hard to comprehend or accept, the girls took it in with grace and have much to reflect on as they finish up their last year in high school.
One thing that made this group especially unique was that they got (had?!) to spend a few days with my parents who came to visit for a week! Their time overlapped [mostly] on purpose, so that Mom and Dad could get a feel for what my life is like - when a delegation is here! Although they're pretty familiar with the environment of a group of students from an all-girls school from my/Kelli's years at Marian, it was fun for them to watch the girls interact with people who spoke a completely different language, and even more fun for them to see everyone try to include me as translator in their conversations--all at the same time!
I appreciated their extra hands - Mom taking pictures, Dad keeping track of money things when my brain was full, and both of them ready to kick up our feet and relax at the end of the day!
The girls and I (and my Nica friend, Mariela) in front of my house!
Tootie with a couple of girls who live in the community near the municipal dump.
Mom & Dad playing games with some of the group and a few Nica friends in Mateare!
Love it.
Mateare Thursday: Dance class, craft class, painting class, delegation... chaos!
Playing games in he rural community - they really got into it!
This here is what we call the Wild Kingdom Drive-Thru ;)
At the Cantera farm
- you can see the Momotombito Volcano to the right of my head!
All the girls with their new Nica Muumuus! :)
Right after dropping off the girls at the airport, we stopped by to see the neighbors, Claudia and family. I was expecting a quick introduction and then moving on, but instead we ended up spending almost two hours talking with Claudia and her husband, Manuel, and playing with Brandon, Mario, and little Naomy!
Favorite picture from the trip - love her. love them. :)
After the delegation was over, Mom, Dad and I had about five days to hang out and get to know the rest of my Nica life. But before we got back to the heat of Managua, we spent a few days at the beach near Pochomil - a MUCH needed reTREAT :)
Umm, yes.
Aren't they just great?!
The house from the beach - don't worry - we played some serious blitz up on that balcony! :)
Dinner on Saturday went from this...
...to this! :)
Of course as soon as we got back from the beach, Mario and Brandon were at the gate asking us to play. While I got a few things done around the house, Mom & Dad spent some time playing with them in our yard!
Monday night M&D treated Claudia, the kids, and I to PIZZA HUT (what a special treat!). We all piled (literally) into the taxi, the kids in their Sunday best. You can see Mario was just *slightly excited for the kids' play room!
Naomy kept us entertained while we waited for the food and boys played.
We spent our last full day in Granada, visiting various stops around town, friends from language school (the director of the school has a seven week old baby that we just couldn't get enough of!), and (of course!) my host family.
Although the time FLEW by (as it always seems to when I have guests), I am (yet again) so grateful that Mom and Dad were able to come visit. In just a short week they met a few key people in my life here in Nicaragua - people who have shaped not only my heart but my future. :) I also believe that the best part of their trip will be when I arrive home and they 'get it'.. they've been here, walked here, and they've seen me here. That's what makes a trip like their's priceless.
Wonderful!
ReplyDeleteIISSSSSSAAAAA! I love this. I miss you and Nica! Come visit California? Oh and you were right, you look exactly like your parents haha
ReplyDelete