Hola! Me llamo Amy, la hermana de Isa! I’ve been planning a trip to Nicaragua
for months- anxious to see my sister! I
was SO excited when I saw her face from the luggage carousel at the Managua airport. I couldn’t get my suitcases fast enough! We have had a great time together, exploring the country and enjoying each other’s
company for the last 10 days. I can’t
believe it’s time for me to fly home already.
Beth
(Elizabeth/Isa) asked if I would write something to include in her blog at the
end of my stay. Rather than telling
about the places we visited, the people we met, and the things we did, I
decided to write a reflection. We (of
course!) took as many pictures as we could, so we can share our adventures with
anyone who is interested.
We’ve taken the bus several times while I’ve been here in
Nicaragua. Each time the experience is a
little different… but always interesting.
It is usually fairly loud on the bus- mainly because of the engine noise
and air rushing in through open windows.
There isn’t much conversation, but all dialogue is in Spanish- so I
understand very little (sometimes I
can recognize enough words, in context, to gather meaning). Despite not hearing/understanding much on the
bus, one exchange between two passengers caught my attention and has stuck in
my mind.
Beth and I were sitting on the bus (sitting, by the way, cannot be expected on a bus ride here) and in the
seat across the aisle were a young man (~20 yrs) and a woman. At one point a young woman and her son (~3
yrs) got on the bus and made their way toward the middle of the bus, near us. As the bus drove on, the woman grabbed the
bar overhead. Her young son stood beside
her. Right away the young man in the
seat beside him scooted over a little and motioned for the boy to sit. The young mother told her boy to sit
down. He seemed hesitant, but sat. The bus continued to get more crowded at each
stop, and the woman ended up farther back in the bus. The boy sat quietly beside the young
man.
Eventually the little boy said something to the young
man. The young man turned and motioned
toward the back of the bus, maybe assuring him that his mother was back
there. That seemed to settle the boy’s
uncertainty. It was a long ride
together, and the two were quiet. At one
of the stops, a vendor came on the bus selling baked items. She pushed her way down the aisle announcing
her items for sale. The young man
purchased one of the small breads and handed it to the little boy. Though I didn’t notice much of a response,
the boy clearly enjoyed the gift. He
nibbled on it for a long time.
Finally a little conversation started between the two; it seemed that the little boy initiated
it. The young man explained that the
woman on the other side of him was his
mother. I don’t know what else they
talked about, but it was apparent that a connection was forming between the
two. The little boy even had his hand
on the seat above the young man’s shoulder for a while. Their conversation and body language
indicated that the boy had come to feel more comfortable.
I took many pictures and videos of things I want to remember
of my experience in Nicaragua. Though I
didn’t/couldn’t record this particular experience, it is something that I’ve
remembered. It was cute, and
heart-warming. More than that, though,
it was an example of something I think everyone has experienced in life: being hesitant,
afraid, vulnerable. Unfamiliar, uncomfortable situations can be
scary.
Sitting beside a stranger on the bus… not sure where Mama
is.
Coming to Nicaragua…
Making it quickly from Houston
airport’s gate B to the E terminal for my flight to Managua- not knowing for
sure how to get there, unsure if I’d make it in time. Arriving in Managua, going through customs.
Being in Nicaragua…
Unable to speak Spanish, unable to communicate with anyone. Unfamiliar with the
money. Not knowing where to go, how to
get there, who to trust…
Living in
Nicaragua long-term… Able to speak
Spanish, over time becoming somewhat familiar with people and places, where to
go, how to get there, who to trust… but still vulnerable. Far from home, far from what is really
comfortable and safe. Away from family
and friends for so long.
TRUST…
difficult, but necessary. Trust
in others, in yourself, and in God.
The stranger on the bus becomes a friend. The two can relate to one another in ways; they become comfortable with each other.
Coming to Nicaragua… Meeting a couple on my first flight who
were also on their way to Managua.
Finding our way to the next terminal together,
just in time! Accepting help with my
luggage upon arrival in Managua, and going through customs with my new friends.
Being in Nicaragua…
Relying on my sister to be my guide- handling the communication,
planning, and spending! Appreciating her
knowledge, assistance, and sense of adventure.
Living in Nicaragua… Trusting God’s plan. Believing that “the angels of the Lord will
encamp around her and keep her safe.”
Appreciating new relationships here, keeping the connection with loved
ones at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment