Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Dear Kelli



For those of you who don't know Kelli, I must give you a brief introduction before describing our week together over new years.  

Kelli is beautiful.
brave.
faith-filled.
strong.
goofy.
fabulous.
wise.
funny.
adventurous.

As the co-director of my childhood, Kell and I did it all together: kittens in the barn, sneaking into each other's rooms during thunder storms, girl-be-gone, cutting Barbies' hair to make more Ken dolls, playing school in the basement, tee ball, family ski trips, plaid skirts and painted nails, long dresses and up-do's, the DR, late night chats, tears, and much much laughter.

It's no secret that when I grow up, I want to be just like my little sister.. to carry myself with both spunk and grace.  I also hope that one day I will have an ounce of her bravery - her sense of adventure - to go into the world and to be brave.

Sooo, I knew going into the week of her visit that it wasn't going to be  [just] a slow walk on the beach..

After the scare with the plane delays, Kelli arrived on time on the evening of the 28th, Dr. Pepper in hand and arms wide open.  After embracing (and chugging the DP), we headed back to the house for the night. Her carry-on was filled with edible treats, but unfortunately we had to wait for the next day for her luggage to arrive. As I wrote about earlier, it was packed FULL of love -- Christmas and birthday gifts, notes, donations, and stuff from home. I felt like I was unpacking Santa's bag.. it was nearly bottomless!  After stowing everything away in ziplock bags (a failed attempt at keeping ants out..), we headed straight to Matagalpa with Megan.  



For our first day in Matagalpa, we went to Los Chiles, a rural community with a textile cooperative.  We met with some of the women of the cooperative, tried out the loom, and then were able to purchase items for gifts and souvenirs. The money the women make from their crafts goes to build brick/concrete houses to replace their houses made of sticks and clay, such as the one below:



Kell tryin' out the loom!
After stopping at the cooperative, we took a hike at a local coffee farm.  We hiked up up up until all of the sudden we were on top of the world, with a beautiful panorama all around us.  After some awed silence and a brief photo shoot, we headed back down the mountain.  Our trip back down was much more exciting, as we saw both a sloth and a tree full of monkeys (both RIGHT above us)!! At the end of the hike, we were able to talk some with the owner of the farm, and he explained a little bit about the harvesting process of the coffee beans. Super interesting!


Told you it was beautiful!
Seriously.. not a lie.. a sloth in real life. Legit.

(haha.. I had to!)

Kelli caught this one.. talk about an action shot!


When we returned to town, we had a chance to walk around, take pictures, and explore a little. I particularly like this picture of a common Nicaraguan commercial area, including political propaganda on the pole. The Frente Sandinista de Liberacion Nacional (FSLN) is the party to which Daniel Ortega (the current president) belongs.




 We also had some time to just chill at the hostal. In other words, Kell had a chance to beat me in every two-person card game imaginable. ;)



The next morning, we visited Casa Materna, which is a home that provides pre- and post-natal care and education for mothers from rural areas with high risk pregnancies.  I ran across their website while reading a friend's blog, and was immediately intrigued by their mission. We received a tour of the house (where women can stay for a week before and after giving birth) and also met with some of the women. After talking with them for a bit, we decided to do a 'dynamica' - Megan had the idea to play a game called "Espalda a Espalda", or "Back-to-Back".  Let's just say, before I knew it I found myself nose to nose with a woman whom I had just met, her full-term belly bumping into my stomach as she giggled at our brief--and close!--encounter: love.   


After our tour, we headed back south to Managua, re-grouped, and left again for Granada for New Years Eve.  Our first stop (naturally), is La Colonia -- the only grocery store in all of Nicaragua (I'm pretty sure of it) with DR PEPPER!  I may or may not have stocked up just a little..


 As it was one of Megan's last days in Granada, we spent New Years with the host family she stayed with a year and a half ago.  We spent all evening helping prepare dinner. 
Making juice with fresh pineapple, watermelon, limes, oranges,
bananas, and a TON of sugar!
 As is tradition, we ate dinner a little after 10pm:  cheese-and-pepper-stuffed-chicken breasts with tostones (sliced and fried plantains), rice, and 'cheese-cake' for dessert.



No better way to celebrate Kell's 21st Bday [a little late]
than with a little coke and Flor de Cana!
At midnight, we went outside to watch the fireworks and the "Viejos" burning (some families make a life-sized man doll and dress him up in old clothes, holding things or signs representing all of the negative things of the past year [ie: alcohol bottle]. At midnight, the dolls are lit on fire to burn away the bad things from the last year and start fresh. It was quite the site! Our host's mother-in-law (seated at the bottom right of the above picture) took us and the other students around the neighborhood to experience more of the traditions. Below, you can see our biggest surprise: a paper/wood cow that a man held above his head as he ran around through the crowds of people as it shot out fireworks! Whaaa?!





Ana, Kell, Megan and I at midnight :)
Before heading out in the morning, we visited my host family so they could meet my hermanita (little sister), whom they had heard so much about, and stopped at a 'dvd store' on the street:


The adventure really began on my birthday.. I thought it would be fun to explore a new place, and evidently thought going to an island (Isla de los Brasiles, near Poneloya, not far from Leon) would be a good idea! There's really no way to describe the extent of this adventure without describing how we arrived there. The trip required seven modes of transportation: taxi, minibus, truck, school bus (public transportation), boat, hiking, and horse cart...no joke.  Once we got there, we just checked out. We walked along the beach, ate, had a photo shoot at sunset (gotta love self timer), and then resorted to our private cabin on the beach for the night (both of us in bed by 9pm - and we thought she had jet lag from the airplane!!). It was sooo good to spend time just the two of us -- relaxing, talking, giggling.  Love.
Seriously.. talk about 'off the beaten path'..



These are the moments we remember.. when beauty is captured.




 After a [very] early walk on the beach, we retraced our steps.. hike (no horse at 5am?), boat, taxi.. to Leon, where we met Ana for another adventure: Volcano Sledding. I only know of one country besides Nicaragua that offers volcano sledding, and it is one of the most popular tourist activities. However, I had zero interest in risking my life to sled down the side of an active volcano on a board, until Kelli decided she (we) wanted to do it.. 


Here we go again with the transportation.. of course the only way to get to the bottom of the volcano is by motorcycle in really fine, volcano ash/sand.. awesome. ;)  The three of us each had a driver/guide and a motorcycle with a board (sled?) and backpack strapped on the back.  



Naturally, the motos could only take us to the bottom of Cerro Negro, the volcano. This is us, excited to begin our upward climb.. the hike wasn't too long, but the 'path' was very steep and on loose gravel/rocks of the volcano. Also, the afternoon wind was so strong that I swore if you were to jump on the top of the volcano, you would have landed 6 feet away! 


breath-taking (the wind and the view!)
 When we reached the top, we opened our backpacks to reveal our posh sledding suits, elbow/knee pads, gloves, and glasses.  At this point, Kelli was itching to sled and I was more or less ready to find the down escalator... ;)
Before picture, at the top of the volcano!
Okay, I admit it.. volcano sledding is pretty legit.

After!! Where's the closest shower?! 
After mastering the volcano, we treated ourselves to lunch and then headed back to Managua, where we [SHOWERED, and] had dinner at a pupusaria with Marcia, our Cap Corps director, and Janet, who had joined us for retreat.  


For Kelli's last day in Nicaragua, we went to the market in Masaya to do a little souvenir shopping, and then came back to spend the afternoon/evening at the house (she had to pack to get home and I had to pack for retreat!). However, our trip to Masaya gave us more time to just hang out and talk.. we sat at lunch for so long that eventually we just got up and left with out paying the tab! We were chased down by the waiter before either of us even realized it! Woops!


And then all of the sudden it was January 5th! Where did the time go?! Her trip was quick, but it was packed with travel and adventure! I am eternally grateful to Mom and Dad for making it possible, and to Kelli for trusting me with the plans but also pushing me to do something new and adventurous. 


I must get some sleep before it gets any later, but I have one last note:



Dear Kelli,

You are absolutely radiant.


...I love you more than love. 






No comments:

Post a Comment